Agile Messenger is a new iPhone Instant Messaging client app that showed up on Installer today – and from what I’ve seen so far, this is the best iPhone IM app yet!
Up to now Fring was my favorite iPhone IM client, because of its broad IM services support and strong background-running capabilities – but Agile Messenger matches up in both those areas, and goes well ahead due to its super slick interface and a bunch of cool features.
Here’s just a quick list of some of what’s cool about Agile Messenger based on playing round with it a bit this evening:
- Has a run-in-the-background capability (which can be turned off via Preferences) – that will play a sound and add a badge number on its icon to indicate when you have new messages. This works even when the iPhone is in sleep mode.
- Has a Copy & Paste ability within chat sessions – so you can select a block of text, choose to copy it, and then paste it into your sending field. This is implemented nicely too – not a bad example for other apps I think.
- Works with a broad range of IM services – GoogleTalk, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, Jabber
- Lets you snap pictures with the iPhone camera and send them within a chat session – and they show up very nicely in its built-in viewer
- Has easy one-tap icons for setting your online status and messages
- Its interface is slick and easy to work with at every level – working with contacts, showing individual conversations each in their own tab, menus that drop down and get out of the way quickly once you tap away from them, and good looking colors and buttons throughout.
Here’s a few more screencaps to give a little more feel for this great new app:
Agile Messenger is available now on Installer, via the ModMyiFone source, which is part of Community Sources – so you should not need to add any sources to see it …