As we await the supposedly ‘any day now’ release of iOS 4.2, the Dev Team has posted an update at their site with advice and guidance on the current state of play for jailbreaking and unlocking, with regard to both current and 4.2 firmware.
Here’s an excerpt from the update:
Update #2: By all accounts, we’re within a few days of Apple’s official public release of Firmware 4.2. Here’s what you need to know:
- Thanks to geohot’s limera1n exploit, and our original pwnage2 exploit, and @pod2g’s ipod2g-MC exploit, absolutely all devices at all iOS firmware versions are capable of being jailbroken.
- The untethered jailbreak of those very latest FWs and latest devices depends on @comex hacks. His hacks so far extend only to 4.1 and 4.2beta3. He’s working on a way to extend it to 4.2 and beyond. Just wait for him to work out his method.
- iPhone 3G and 3GS unlockers will be covered by our upcoming unlock. Stay away from any updates to Apple FW until our official release and you’ll be okay. Just stay away from all Apple IPSWs
- iPhone4 unlockers are not left out in the cold. @sherif_hashim has found some very promising avenues to pursue. Those will be explored as soon as possible after all the 4.2 madness.
Overall, that’s all very good news for jailbreakers. Even the section on @comex’s hacks that are needed for untethered jailbreak (jailbreak that does not require a re-jailbreak every time the device is rebooted) extending only to 4.1 right now, sound promising – as in, it sounds like a solution to keep things untethered is expected soon.
Good times for iOS device owners – a big new update coming soon, and jailbreaks keeping pace with OS updates. For more details, see the Dev Team’s blog post here:
- How to open a screen sharing session in Messa
- The (10) best Messages features in Yosemite
- How to manage share extensions in Yosemite to
- AT&T offering an additional 5 GB of data