" />

iOS 5 To Be Issued to Assemblers By the End of September, No New iPhone Case Design

iPhone-5G-Back-Cover-White-500x428.jpg

MacRumors is reporting on a research note by Ming-Chi Kuo, who claims that Apple is slated to send a gold master build of iOS 5 to their iPhone and iPod touch production partners somewhere in the timeframe of September 23rd and September 30th. This of course, suggests that the new iPhone will ship in the mid-October timeframe as has been reported elsewhere before.

The report goes on to note that there is no evidence to suggest that the new iPhone will have a case redesign, and instead points to the “N94” model that we’ve heard about prior, as the only new iPhone model to be debuted this year. That said, Apple still plans to crank out a whopping 30 million units by the end of the year. That’s on top of an additional 5 million iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS models Apple plans to produce as it transitions over to the new device.

As for the device itself, Kuo believes that the new iPhone will ship with 512MB of RAM, the same 3.5-inch display (not larger as has been rumored) and a camera module height nearly the same as the iPhone 4’s (could still be an 8 Megapixel module as has been rumored). Also, for what it’s worth, Kuo believes Foxconn will produce 85% of the new iPhones, while Pegatron will handle the remaining 15%. Less certain, is if the device will have a glass front and back as the current iPhone 4 does.

Lastly, Kuo believes the iPod touch won’t see as many changes, the largest of which will be the inclusion of a white model. A major redesign of this device will come in 2012.

“N94” photo courtesy of MacPost.

Continue reading:

TAGS: , , ,