In a move, that seemed apparent after the first beta of iOS 6 was released to developers, Apple has now launched a standalone Podcasts app to discover, and enjoy podcasts. This should come as no surprise considering that it was discovered that iOS 6 dropped podcast playback that was traditionally located in the system’s music application.
The biggest thing you need to know, is that the podcasts app supports both streaming and the downloading of podcasts, while also offering the syncing of episode playback between devices. Start listening on you iPad, and finish on you iPhone. Simple.
Here are the release notes from Apple:
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
It’s also been noticed, that this App has a redeem button, which suggests that paid podcast content could be offered sometime in the future.
At any rate, Podcasts, the app, is a free download for iPhone and iPad, from the App Store.
- How to set-up a Family Sharing Apple ID for k
- How to set up your Medical ID in the Health a
- How to set-up Family Sharing in iOS 8
- How to back-up your iPhone 6 & iPhone 6