Apple has released OS X 10.8.1 to the public today. This is the first maintenance update to the newly-released OS X Mountain Lion. One can download this update directly, or via the “Updates” panel in the Mac App Store. Here are Apple’s release notes:
This update includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability and compatibility of your Mac, including fixes that:
- Resolve an issue that may cause Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit
- Improve compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail
- Address an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display
- Resolve an issue that could prevent iMessages from being sent
- Address an issue that could cause the system to become unresponsive when using Pinyin input
- Resolve an issue when connecting to SMB servers with long names
- Address a issue that may prevent Safari from launching when using a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file
- Improve 802.1X authentication with Active Directory credentials.
The release notes make no mention of this update fixing the battery life issues being experienced by some, perhaps that fix is coming in 10.8.2.
Speaking of which, the company has seeded the first build of 10.8.2 to developers today as well. This build (Build 12C31a) comes as a 641MB combo update, with Apple asking developers to focus their testing on Messages, Facebook, Game Center, Reminders, and Safari. Hopefully this update will fix the battery problem, or perhaps Apple will release a standalone update for the issue when it is ready.
[UPDATE] Shortly after Mountain Lion was released, Ars Technica did some experimentation and reported that Mountain Lion was causing battery life for many Macs to drop off considerably. Well, MacObserver has done some testing of their own, and has found that the OS X 10.8.1 update released last week, does help the battery life issue, but doesn’t fix it completely.
- How to set-up Family Sharing in iOS 8
- How to back-up your iPhone 6 & iPhone 6
- Truth: iPhone 6 Bend
- Apple releases iOS 8.0.2–patches all bu