After reviewing the STM Nomad Messenger Bag and marquee case for iPad Mini, I’ve gotten a pretty good feel for what this company is all about. STM makes their bags and cases out of quality materials, they put a lot of thought into their designs, and their products have a sense of style about them. They stand out from the pack, but not so much that they look gaudy or unprofessional. I really appreciate what this company brings to the laptop and mobile accessory market.
STM recently released their new Velocity line of products, which includes four different cases, ranging from a small iPad sleeve to a full size messenger bag. They describe this series as “Lightweight but durable, sleek yet organized, cool while functional,” which seems pretty accurate based on what I saw. I had the opportunity to take a look at the Impulse backpack and came away impressed with what it offers.
The Impulse is a fine choice for the digital commuter who needs to protect their digital gear from the weather, wants a single bag for their laptop and tablet, and doesn’t need to pack a ton of gear with them everyday. The bag’s durable, water resistant material is perfect for people on the go, and the reflective stitching on the back is a great touch for pedestrian and bike commuters. The heavy padding in the technology compartment is also a plus.
While the Impulse could use a little more organized space for small accessories, and is a little light on padding in the straps and handle, it has the room to carry the gear that most people will need for their day. It’s comfortable enough since it is light weight and not meant to carry heavy loads. People like myself who need to carry a lot of large gear and accessories with them every day should look elsewhere, but the typical backpack wearer should find the Impulse to be an excellent choice.
- Light weight – the bag itself weighs only 2.2 lbs
- Durable, water resistant exterior
- Bottom pocket gives quick access to key accessories like laptop chargers
- Nicely styled, and tasteful
- Lots of padding in the tech compartment for a laptop and tablet, as well as on the exterior back
- Luggage handle pass-through is ideal for air travelers
- Not enough small pockets or organization for small accessories (media cards, thumb drives, cables, etc)
- The handle and shoulder straps are a little light on padding
- The tablet pocket is a little snug if you are using a case
Who is this product ideal for:
- Air travelers who prefer a backpack carry-on
- Pedestrian commuters who want to travel light
- Those who prefer to bike or ride motorcycles to work
The STM Impulse is available in Black and Gray in Medium Size, and retails for $99.99.
The STM Impulse was provided by STM for review on iSource. For further information regarding our site’s review policies, please see the “About” page.
- How to verify your iPhone email settings from
- 12-inch MacBook Air could compete with cheape
- Change Screenshot Destination
- The (6) best ways to extend your iPhone 6 bat