Another little known feature that was introduced in OS X Yosemite is the ability to share your screen session with another user who also has Yosemite installed on their Mac. This can be very useful when trying to demonstrate to someone how to do perform a certain task as opposed to over email or on the phone.
How to Start a Screen Sharing Session
Make sure you and a friend are already using Yosemite, and have Messages open on your Macs. Select a an existing conversation, or start a new one with the person you wish to share your screen with.
- In the upper right corner, click on details
- Select the far left icon that looks like two squares overlapping one another
- Select either “Invite to share my screen” or “Ask to share screen”
- Wait for response from person you are sharing screen with
If you invite the person on the receiving end to share your screen, they will receive the invite in the form of a pop-up window request
While in sharing mode you will also have the opportunity to change the permissions of the other person. Options include,
- Controlling screen
- Mute audio
- Use the screen sharing session
- When you want to end the session
Pretty cool little feature that has lot’s of up-side and plenty of use-case scenarios that I plan on taking advantage of.
TAGS: Mac, Messages, Screen Sharing, Yosemite